The Cyprus Government, in its continuous efforts for a complete reform of the old and outdated application and filing procedures for the issuance of a residence permit in Cyprus has announced that starting as of Monday the 08/02/2016 the Migration Department will be issuing a new type of residence permit to third country nationals that fall under the following categories.
- applicants that reside or plan to visit Cyprus for studies
- applicants that reside or plan to visit Cyprus as exchange students
- applicants that reside or plan to visit Cyprus for unpaid professional practise
- applicants that reside or plan to visit Cyprus for voluntary service
- applicants that reside or plan to visit Cyprus for research purposes under a contract with a research organisation, including their family members
- applicants that reside or plan to visit Cyprus as family members of a recognised refugee for the purpose of a family reunification
- applicants that hold or intend to apply for an immigration permit, including their dependants
- applicants that are victims of human trafficking or commercial exploitation
Under any other category that will be created or modified from here onwards.
The new type of ‘uniform’ residence permit will be like an identity card and will bear the permit holder’s biometric details (fingerprints and photograph) as well as his/her signature.
Furthermore, it is important to note that all third country nationals that fall under any of the above categories and who have filed an application for the issuance or renewal of a residence permit, which will not be examined by the 08/02/2016, MUST file by the 08/04/2016 a new additional application form (called ‘M+IP’) at the District Office of the Migration Department and pay the relevant fee of EUR10.00. In the event that the third country national whose application is still pending and did not file this additional application by the 08/04/2016, his/her pending application will be automatically cancelled as per the relevant law.
It should be noted that the above does not apply to any residence permits that have already been issued. These permits will continue to be valid until their expiry date.
For any additional information, please feel free to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org